Utah Lt. Governor Spencer J. Cox – Constitution Day
Utah Rep. Chris Stewart – Constitution Day PSA
Gary Richard Herbert Govenor os Utah – Constitution Day.
Lions Clubs International – Is the world’s largest service organization. Their motto is “We Serve” and they do so with 1.4M members throughout 200+ countries around the world. Their community service focus areas are Youth, Hunger, Diabetes, Childhood Cancer, Vision, and Environment.
Liberty Lives Forever – Exists to supply pocket Constitution books containing the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution to ‘We the People’ with a focus on students.
Steps to implement Pocket Constitution Book Program
- Meet with the School District Superintendent to discuss how the Lions club could provide a great learning program for their 5th grade students. Notes: Show them the free book and be flexible with the schools and their schedules!
- Establish what type of program works best for that particular school (e.g. short essay, quiz, test, a Constitution Bee (like a Spelling Bee), etc. Note: Encourage children to use self-study questions within the Constitution Booklets to gauge learning.
- Have someone (Lions, public officials, service organizations, Veterans, business leaders, etc.) speak to the 5th grade class about the importance of the U.S. Constitution and give each student a U.S. Pocket Constitution book.
- Encourage schools to hold some sort of fun event to gauge or assess student learning and one that celebrates Constitution Day on September 17, 2019. . Note: Clubs can provide an “incentive to study” through cash awards and/or prizes to the schools that participated.
- Reach out to the local community TV station (if there is one), to videotape the Constitution Bee (or event) and show it on their local TV channel.
- The Sorenson Grant requires you to report back to the district on your program’s success, what school(s) participated, how many students participated, type of activity, competition winners, etc.
- Write an article about this program for the Lions Magazine with photos, testimonials, local publicity, new members generated, etc.